Thursday, August 11, 2005

3 Days In Memphis


Someone is having an extra bad day in Memphis today.


Once upon a time, they used to teach people to ride bicycles against traffic, like a pedestrian.
But that all ended long ago.
Today, these kids are human airbag-testers doing this.
On a 7 lane road.
During rushhour.


She was only 18 and a week from graduating high school.
She died on this curve.
It was a year ago, but her friends still come by every week and put new flowers down around the cross they put up for her.
You can just see it. The dumptruck is behind it. It's about 6' tall.
I pass it every single day.


For 2 seconds of each day I get to glance over into this field as I drive past.
For 2 seconds of each day I get to escape from hell in my imagination.


This is some awesome camouflage!
I almost couldn't see him.
I thought a bunch of shrubbery was just driving down the street.
Maybe it's a float?


2 large expensive trucks met up close and personal.
Ahead of them were 2 more cars that had collided.
Bonus for the Germantown cops!
They get to write at least 3 tickets, which fills one officer's daily quota and half of another's.
Woo hoo!


3 guys in the truck and one guy riding on the load of crap in the back.
They blew a tire going 65mph.
It sounded like a bomb went off.
I heard BOOM and then there was this huge cloud of dust.
I looked for the exploding car and I saw these guys pulling off the highway with a shredded rag for a tire.
I've never heard or seen a blowout like this one.
BOOM!
Enjoy changing that tire.
It's 95 degrees with a heat index of 105 thanks to the dripping humidity.


When a man loves a woman ...
I mean, when a van shoves a minitruck.

Bent the guy's frame. The roof was even folded.
Kiss the little Chevy goodbye, dude.
It's going to the great big parking lot in the sky.

Comments:
Interesting. Sad about the girl It's nice to know that someone remembers her every week.
 
Ditto, Leesa.

I liked these shots. You've managed to get Memphis at it's finest. lol

M~
 
Leesa, yeah, it was really tragic when she died. It was in the city paper. That is a really bad curve since they started the construction because they dug it out and for a long time if you missed the turn you fell way down into a deep hole. They've started filling it back in now, but it was really dangerous before.

Greek, I don't know what inspired me to shoot these particular things, but they really do show what Memphis is like most of the time.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?